Episode 3: Brexit
Review and Renew: The Jersey Business Podcast
Wednesday, February 24th, 2021 - 21 minutes
Welcome to Review and Renew, a brand-new series of podcasts brought to you by Jersey Business. We’ll discuss how we can do business better, how we can achieve our goals, and make our businesses more resilient. In each episode, we’ll be talking about one aspect of business today, drawing on the knowledge and expertise of local business leaders.
In this episode, we are going to find out more about Brexit. Joining us is Senator Ian Gorst and Alexia McClure.
Senator Gorst is Jersey’s External Relations Minister and has been pivotal to the Island’s preparations for, and response to, Brexit. He is an accountant by trade but has been a full-time politician for over 15 years and served two terms as the Island’s Chief Minister.
Alexia is Chief Operating Officer at Jersey Business, is a member of the Senior Management Team and sits on the Board of Directors. She has extensive private sector experience having worked in the professional services industry in the UK and South Africa, and 20 years spent developing, managing, and delivering business development support programmes in the UK and Jersey.
We hope you enjoy this recording and find the series informative and inspiring.
Would you like to refer back to any of the questions? For ease, below are the key questions and time stamps.
- Where does Jersey currently sit in terms of our trading relationship with Europe and the UK? – 01:25
- What are the key new rules Jersey businesses need to understand? – 02:35
- What support is Jersey Business offering to the local business community? – 03:25
- What are the big opportunities for the Island and for local businesses? – 04:50
- Will Brexit widen Jersey’s labour pool? – 08:40
- Likewise, is there an opportunity to export the skills, knowledge, expertise, and services we have in the Island? – 10:45
- Where can Jersey position itself now in terms of global trade? – 12:25
- How can Jersey complement Boris Johnson’s aspiration to create a Singapore on Thames for London’s Financial Services sector? – 14:00
- Though small geographically, Jersey businesses have a big voice. What is the reason for this? – 15:25
- Could Brexit be a catalyst for a reinvention of what Jersey is doing? – 17:35
For further support, advice, and useful resources, visit the Jersey Business website.
Listen to the other podcasts in this series on the Jersey Business website, through Channel 103, Spotify, or on Apple Podcasts.