Sport News

Supplied by

Premier League results and round-up: Liverpool, Man City ease to wins as Man Utd held

9:10 pm, 22nd September 2018

With Chelsea playing on Super Sunday, Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool returned to the summit as they maintained their winning start to the season by overpowering Southampton 3-0 at Anfield.

The Reds took the lead after 10 minutes when a Xherdan Shaqiri cross deflected off Shane Long and rebounded into the net off Wesley Hoedt. Joel Matip doubled the advantage with a firm header and Mohamed Salah pounced for the third after a Shaqiri free-kick had bounced down off the crossbar.

Champions Manchester City kept up the pressure by thrashing Cardiff 5-0, Riyad Mahrez scoring twice as Pep Guardiola’s side recovered from their midweek Champions League defeat to Lyon.

City clicked into gear with three goals in the closing 13 minutes of the first half, with Sergio Aguero celebrating his new contract – and his 300th appearance for the club – by netting the first.

Bernardo Silva headed a quickfire second and Ilkay Gundogan curled in a fine third, before Mahrez came off the bench to score his first goals for Guardiola’s side after the break.

Manchester United had to settle for a 1-1 draw with Wolves on the day Sir Alex Ferguson returned to Old Trafford.

Ferguson was welcomed back to Old Trafford for the first time since undergoing emergency brain surgery in May but could not inspire United to victory.

United did take the lead through Fred’s first goal for the club after 18 minutes but Wolves had already spurned a handful of chances. The promoted side continued to fight and secured a point from an entertaining contest with a brilliant effort from Joao Moutinho after 53 minutes.

Burnley finally claimed their first win of the season, at the sixth attempt, by thrashing Bournemouth 4-0 at Turf Moor.

Bournemouth’s Nathan Ake saw a shot deflected onto the bar but the Clarets took command with two goals in quick succession from Matej Vydra and Aaron Lennon shortly before the interval. Ashley Barnes added two more in the final seven minutes.

Huddersfield’s wait for a first victory goes on after they were beaten 3-1 at Leicester.

The Terriers took an early lead when Mathias Jorgensen netted from close range following a free-kick but Kelechi Iheanacho levelled with a breakaway goal after 19 minutes.

James Maddison gave the Foxes a 66th-minute lead moments after Laurent Depoitre had failed to take a chance for the visitors and Jamie Vardy broke away to put the result beyond doubt 15 minutes from time.

Mamadou Sakho was guilty of a bad miss as Crystal Palace were forced to settle for a goalless draw against Newcastle at Selhurst Park. Sakho headed wide from close range and James McArthur also went close as Palace chased a late winner.

Newcastle earlier felt aggrieved when Joselu had a penalty appeal turned down.

In the early game, live on Sky Sports Premier League, Aleksandar Mitrovic scored a late equaliser as Fulham grabbed a point from a 1-1 draw with Watford at Craven Cottage.

The Hornets took a second-minute lead through Andre Gray but were punished for missing further chances when Mitrovic, who also hit the bar late on, levelled after 78 minutes.

A Super Sunday double-header sees West Ham host Chelsea before Arsenal take on Everton.