National News

Supplied by

Man ‘with Taser’ at Buckingham Palace released

4:35 am, 24th September 2018

Officers were called to the palace’s visitor entrance just before 1pm on Sunday.

The man, 38, had already been stopped by security staff.

He was arrested on suspicion of possessing a firearm (a Taser) and was taken to a central London police station.

The man, who was visiting the UK from the Netherlands, was questioned by police before he was released without further action.

In a statement, the Met Police said: “Officers were satisfied that his possession of the device – which was low-powered and part of a keyring – was a genuine error on his part, and that he posed no threat.”

On its Twitter page, the Metropolitan Police said the incident was not terrorism-related.

Buckingham Palace declined to comment.

The Queen is currently away from her official residence, taking a summer break at Balmoral Castle in Scotland.