Throw-Away BBQ Causes St Clement Fire

22nd June 2018

Credit: JFRS

A disposable barbeque was the likely reason for a fire in a St Clement apartment block yesterday (21st June).

Two fire engines were called to the La Greve D’Azette area after thick black smoke started billowing from the block’s bin store.

Crews used hose reels to put the fire out and a ventilation fan was used to clear the smoke.

The bin store was significantly damaged, but nearby rooms were unaffected.

Crew Commander Andy Gallie is urging people to be careful.

“During the summer months Jersey Fire and Rescue sees a significant increase in the number of refuse bin fires, primarily due to the careless disposal of throw-away barbecues.

“After use, please allow any barbeques to fully cool down, before disposing of them in a refuse bin.”

Share this story: