The charity became embroiled in a controversy following allegations of sexual misconduct against some of its staff in the Caribbean country following a devastating earthquake in 2010.
It was made aware of allegations that some of its aid workers used sex workers while they were working in the relief effort there.
Oxfam has told staff it needs to urgently find £16m of savings and reduce the number of its aid projects as it copes with the fallout from the scandal, according to an internal document obtained by The Guardian.
An Oxfam spokeswoman did not comment on the document, which was circulated among the charity’s staff last week by its outgoing head, Mark Goldring, according to the newspaper.
She said the charity was cutting head office and support functions to ensure it could maintain most of its on-the-ground aid programmes, such as helping Rohingya refugees in camps in Bangladesh and people struggling to survive conflict in Yemen.
“We are devastated that the appalling behaviour of some former staff in Haiti and shortcomings in how we dealt with that eight years ago means we now have less money to provide clean water, food and other support to people who need it,” she said.
Haiti’s government said on Thursday it was withdrawing Oxfam GB’s right to operate in Haiti.
It said the decision was due to a violation of laws.
Oxfam said it was disappointed but understood the decision, and added it would continue to work in Haiti through affiliate members in Italy, Spain and the Canadian province of Quebec.
“The behaviour of some former Oxfam staff working in Haiti following the 2010 earthquake was completely unacceptable.
“We have apologised to the government and the Haitian people for what happened,” a spokeswoman said.