National News

Supplied by

First of Chennai Six says ‘excellent to be home’ as he lands in UK

11:55 am, 6th December 2017

Billy Irving, from Argyll and Bute, landed at Glasgow airport this morning, having won his lengthy legal battle for freedom.

He told Sky News: “Massive thank you to everyone who supported me and the five others.

“It feels excellent to be home.”

He was one of six guards arrested for smuggling weapons but they have now received permission to leave India.

The others, including Nick Dunn, John Armstrong, Nicholas Simpson, Ray Tindall and Paul Towers, are expected back on Thursday.

In a statement given after the ruling, the six said: “After four long years, we, along with the 29 crew of the Seaman Guard Ohio, have been cleared by the Appeal Court. We want to thank the court for reaching this decision.

“We are all in good health and eager to return to our families and friends. Whilst we wait for permission to leave India and come home, we ask the media to respect our privacy and that of our families during this process.

“We want to thank our legal counsel, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and The Mission to Seafarers for helping us reach this point.

“We have been glad to receive the many messages of support and care packages during our time in prison, and ask for time to reflect on our experience and to prepare for home.”

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said: “It is wonderful news that the men are returning to the UK.

“The Foreign Office has worked unstintingly on this case, lobbying on the men’s behalf, visiting them in prison, updating their families, and maintaining close contact with their legal team.

“I pay tribute to those who have campaigned for the men, who will be delighted to see them return home after being separated for so long.”

The six men were arrested in October 2013 when the Indian Coastguard boarded their ship, the MV Sean Guard Ohio.

They were arrested for taking weapons into India’s waters, but the charges were quashed when the men showed their UK paperwork and argued they were carrying them for anti-piracy purposes.

A lower court reinstated the charges and they were sentenced to five years in jail in January last year.

They have launched a series of appeals, finally getting success at the end of November.