Man Rescued From Flat Fire

9th August 2018

A neighbour’s actions have saved a man from a fire in a town flat.

They raised the alarm just after midnight when they smelled burning and saw smoke coming from under the front door of the next apartment.

Nine firefighters attended, got in and helped the man inside to safety.

He was treated for smoke inhalation by waiting paramedics.

The blaze was caused by unattended cooking.

The Fire Service says the flat has a smoke alarm – but the batteries had been taken out of it.

“The Fire and Rescue Service would like to remind the public about the importance of a working smoke detector as this can lead to the alarm being raised earlier for everybody’s safety.”

Share this story: